Saturday, April 21, 2012

What's In That GLASS?!

My Husband cringes when I make tea. He never knows how I'll adulterate, abuse or otherwise alter one of his most treasured beverages. For me, tea can be a relaxing water alternative, or a chance to really expand my creativity. One of these days, I'll get around to posting my favorite variations on Bourbon Tea, Texas Tea and Golf For One Tea. Since it's rainy & cold (which always makes me want white hot chocolate instead of tea) and I'm sort of watching my Husband's hockey team take one in the teeth, I'll settle for talking about 3 of my favorite "doctored" teas that have nothing to do with alcohol.

Green Tea: A favorite relaxing beverage of mine. I prefer it *very* warm and sweetened with honey. Somehow, it slows me down. I do my best to run away from caffeinated versions, as my sensitivity to caffeine creates terrifying situations (as well as a productivity rate that alarms on-lookers).

Pekoe Tea: Yes, Lipton tea is sitting on our shelf of teas. It's the one I abuse the most, as the flavor is less complex than I prefer. By way of a 'for instance:' Today I brewed a double batch, according to directions. I added 1 tsp of vanilla extract and 3 tbsp dark brown sugar. I think it's delicious. My Husband is unimpressed.

Chai Tea: Uhm.... I have a problem with chai. As often as I can, which is to say about once a week or so, making chai overwhelms my otherwise phlegm-avoiding dietary realities. I steep my chai in skim milk (yeah, milk. Wanna fight about it?) and add a dash of vanilla. Occasionally, if I'm particularly low on calories for the morning and balanced my breakfast accordingly, I'll add sugar.

There's something to be said for a beverage you can oh-so-intimately personalize. I've seen additions like grenadine, fresh fruit. I adore switches, where tea becomes the ingredient to add, a prime example being chai cupcakes and chai frosting. I've even watched tea being used as a marinade (didn't try the end result, but it had nothing to do with the marinade). I love being able to find so many different tastes from so exquisite a start-point. I just hope it will be a consolation to one grumpy hockey fan....

No comments:

Post a Comment