Saturday, April 14, 2012

Permission From The Chef's Body?

Sometimes, the way you feel dictates the way you eat. Lately, I've been having a lot of lung issues lately and I've noticed that it dictates my food choices.
For the uninitiated: I have something wrong with my ability to breathe. It is not asthma, it is not allergies, it is not COPD. I have been to many doctors who cannot explain why, sitting on a couch in the afternoon, I will suddenly lose my ability to breathe just as readily as walking too quickly for too long. Aggrevating factors happen and are not limited to: hair/dander especially from pets, emotional triggers, dairy (if only because of dairy's normal phlegm-inducing habits).

Last night, we had Jerk Burgers with Lime Slaw on top. The heat cut immediately through anything that would have caused my body to attempt murder upon itself, and it was extremely tasty.
I mention this because, as Spring gallops by and Summer establishes its hold on our days, the way we feel will dictate what we eat. Lasagna in the middle of July? Perhaps not so light and appealing as grilled chicken with grilled pinapple and lime glaze. Spicy Thai Mango sauce over udon noodles, tossed with arugala, walnuts, bell peppers and feta.

In the spirit of All Things Culinary My Body Says, "HEY! That Might Be Tasty!" I have for the evening let my allergy medication lapse in order to enjoy:

Pinks & Greens Sangria

1 Bottle  Sutter Home Moscato
1 Bottle  Barefoot Pink Mostacto
3 Cups    Diced Peaches
1 Small   Lime
1 Entire  Grapefruit (medium sized is fine, you don't have to get crazy here)
3 TBSP  Grenadine     *optional         (I prefer it to Simple Syrup - it's more fun here)
1 Bottle  Ginger Ale

1. In a super large drink container like a pitcher or punch bowl, combine both bottles of wine.

2. Prep fruit. Dice peaches if all you could get were slices or whole ones. Slice the lime into rings. Segment the grapefruit, removing all seeds and membranes.

3. Add fruit slowly to wines. I really advocate alternating what you put in at this point. This recipe is geared more toward grapefruit and peaches than anything else because I like the interplay. Adjust as needed, and remember that the interplay will only get stronger as the drink refrigerates.

4. Fridge. Seriously, this group needs time to get together and get to know everybody.  I would suggest at least 4 hours. You can go with it at 2 hours and it'll be okay, but it's best overnight.

5. Get your glasses ready! Add desired amount of ginger ale and serve.

*NOTE: Waiting this long to add ginger ale preserves fizz and brings the moscatos back to life. Invariable, you're going to lose some of that moscato playfulness as this Sangria marinates in the fridge. Reviving it in this way as you serve it gives you the opportunity to adjust sweet/fizziness to suit each guest. If you want to get obnoxious with it, lime juice ice cubes add a fascinating cooling tang in addition to the lime slices.*


Pairing suggestions: Ropa vieja, blackened (protein), Devil's Strawberry Cupcakes, short rib tips and wilted spinach salad, shrimp and pesto over angel hair

No comments:

Post a Comment