Monday, April 16, 2012

Substitutions

This is not just for women who are pregnant, but their voices helped inspire this discussion so I've included a lot of information gathered from them. You can just skip down to my pairing suggestions if you're not interested in what they have to say! Happy MONDAY!

First of all, I'd like to say a very serious and very heartfelt to the pregnant women who contributed to this particular post: Ladies, thanks for being honest with me about the questions I had! MUCH LOVE FROM AUNT JESS!

Subs. Place holders. Calorie alter-ers. Cheats. Enhancers. Call them whatever you want - sometimes the recipe calls for one thing and we use others.

Since a large portion of the women I know are pregnant, and several are first timers, I asked a couple questions concerning their diets, and what their doctors had recommended.

Young Lady from Rural America: "Moderation was the word he stressed. There's a chart on the wall of the OB office, where he tracks all the women under his care. You get a special little character and only you know which one you are, so you get to see where you are in relation to other women! I must be doing well - 6 months tomorrow and I'm right on track with where I'm supposed to be!"

30-something First-time Mom in Australia - "Calories, calories calories! I went from running marathons to remembering that I *have* to gain weight to make this pregnancy safe! Doc says I'm healthy, but it's been hard going for the choices I would have automatically shunned before. Have to remember those daily calorie values she gave me!"

Late 20's 3rd Timer - "I just had to figure out the combinations Baby liked. Food has been the least of my worries with the soccer player doing the conga on my bladder!"

Suggested Substitutions

1. Salsa: I've heard it all: Salsa on eggs instead of ketchup; Salsa on baked potatoes instead of butter/ sour cream/ whatever; Salsa on flatbread instead of hummus. Fresh salsa is easy to make at home, full of all kinds of yummy vitamins and nutrients. Also an excellent way to vary the types of veggies you're getting in your diet.

2. Cayenne Pepper: There's a lot to be said for things like salt and fresh-cracked black pepper. Having mentioned that, I'll repeat what I have been told by nutritionists as well as GP doctors: "Raising the spice level in your food revs up your metabolism. The higher the burn, the more amped your body gets, throwing the switch on those fat-burning enzymes." Red pepper flakes are another recommended avenue for hot and slimming food additives. With heat like this, who misses salt?

3. Fish: Finally acheive the perfect chicken burger? Know exactly how to make that turkey patty sing before it slides onto your favorite bun? Crazy idea - slip in a salmon burger or tilapia filet into that poultry position. Omega-3s, lean protein and the chance to flex those already-buff seasoning skills: You've got this! Next time summer screams GRILL OUT in your ear, reach for the other protein that may not make enough appearances in your winter/cavebear diet!

4. Salad: Saw it coming? Then you know what I'm going to say. Craving a cheeseburger? How about some leftover grilled steak and feta over an arugala salad? Add one piece of dark wheat bread and what are you missing about that cheeseburger? Nothing's sitting like a brick in your belly, your officemates feel lame for that grease stain on their business-casual favorite shirt, and midafternoon you are not fighting the carb-sleep syndrome. Just keep in mind: Greens like spinach need to be heated in order to release the nutrients we all adore from their dark leaves. Translation? Wilt it! A warmed up spinach salad gives you what you need without surrendering to less healthful prep methods.

5. Food Journal: Take a book to read at work on your break instead of your Smartphone's screen. While you're at it, jot down everything you're eating. Make notes on what you change, how you felt about the taste, the way it made your body feel. If you have 3 meals with green peppers and get heartburn after every single one, it might be time to surrender your love for the bell or prepare for the discomfort. Cravings you note can also help you discover what might be lacking in your diet. I know when I'm craving ice cream, my dairy requirements are *not* being met. Worth substituting for 15 minutes on your phone, trying to figure out bizarre Facebook statuses? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment