Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Recipe With Intent

Today is World AIDS Day. What does that have to do with a food blog?

When I was in middle school, ages ago, there were major stories in the news about a boy named Ryan to whom AIDS was transmitted via blood transfusion. I met a young man named Grant, who also had received tainted blood.

Grant's Mom was wonderful, fighting for her son any way she could. Not just keeping the teenager out of trouble and doing homework, she researched all the aspects of her son's condition and did whatever she could to combat symptom after symptom. Grant told me later that he was always mortified every time his mom talked about him having to use Monestat to get rid of the thrush in his mouth.

He was a sweet guy, and a good pen pal.

It always seemed like I heard from Grant right around the times I needed a break from the self-centered world of the average teenage girl. He kept perspective for me in a way I still am grateful for, helping shape me into what I hope is a more thoughtful person.

For Grant, today, I wanted to share a classic, favorite snack from my Writing With Grant days. Miss you, Sweet Heart, and I promise I try every day: Don't apologize, fix it. Find a way.


Hot Chocolate Jess Style

8 oz skim milk
1 package of hot chocolate mix
4 peppermints, crushed

1. Microwave milk in appropriate cup for 1:30-1:45 minutes.

2. Stir hot chocolate mix in, making sure to stir out all the lumps. Please avoid marshmallows here. Firstly, they add sugar that's just not necessary in this particular treat. Second of all, they will disintegrate into semigrossness with all the stirring involved here. Seriously. I've seen it.

3. Add the peppermint powder. Stir slowly. You can re-microwave if you need to, so the heat helps shorten the time it takes to melt any larger pieces that didn't quite get crushed.

4. I would usually couple this with a handful of pretzel sticks. Crunchy contrast, with the salt helping to cut through the silky sweetness of the hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment