Sunday, July 15, 2012

Breakfast on the Go

I can't eat a lot in the morning. My body gets very upset when I have a large breakfast.

I don't skip. I mini/maxi.

Jess, what on earth are you talking about?

I'm glad you asked. I'm talking about getting the most caloric and nutrient impact in the fewest mouthfuls of "stuff." Eating enough that's well balanced will help you make it to lunch. Fats help make the brain get going in the morning, sugars give you immediate energy and carbs give you energy that your body can get to more slowly, giving you a 3-way advantage every single day, and limit the cravings that push you from a smart lunch choices right into a binge your body has been begging for all day.

I know this mix sounds naughty. The reality is: almonds are good fat. Your brain requires fat to function. Dark chocolate is a mood enhancer, contains a tiny bit of caffeine to help boost metabolism, and cranberries offer antioxidant deliciousness in addition to the quick energy fix everybody wants in the morning. Almonds keep your tummy happy for hours and hours, chocolate keeps your mood up, and crans give you get up and go. Always a good treat, or a great breakfast-on-the-go.

Bar Harbour Trail Mix
(no idea who invented this particular mix - this is simply how I make my own)

2 cups   almonds, unsalted and unroasted (divided)
1 pkg    Baker's Melting Chocolate (dark chocolate)
8 oz      unsweetened cranberries, dried
4 tsp     vanilla
parchment paper


1. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of almonds and vanilla. Set aside.

2. Melt Baker's Chocolate according to instructions.

3. Use remaining cup of almonds in Baker's Chocolate, coating each and laying out on parchment paper to cool and harden. (14-18 minutes to completely cool)

4. Combine almonds and cranberries. Serving size is just over 1/2 cup. Easy to slip into a small ziploc bag and eat wherever you have to be. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment