Tuesday, October 11, 2011

bon appetit And Slapping People, and A Snack

I like bon appetit, usually. A tidy, concise, well-written article is often a cure for all my ills, and when it comes to food, I can find it in the pages of BA.

I am, currently, annoyed and disappointed. "Always use non-boil noodles" for lasagna? Seriously? First of all, gross. Secondly, and probably more to the point, why are the revolting things non-boil in the first place? Doesn't that bother you? That is some seriously repugnant advice. Third, and finally on this point before I move on to something of actual value, I really see no value in this advice because I'm smart enough to figure out the following progression:

1. Lasagna was conceived and eventually made, for many many many years, using boiled lasagna noodles.

2. These boiled noodles added to the flavor and water-content of the dish, thereby directly contributing to flavor and texture.

3. Recipes were adjusted, better noodles were developed, and boiling continued.

4. (this is the key step) Someone thought it was tasty.

5. Survival of a recipe a majority of Americans (to say nothing of our Italian audience - Ciao) associate with family.

Nowhere in that progression does a non-boil revolution necessitate itself. I find absolutely no value in the idea that "noodles that aren't boiled will absorb more" of anything. If you can't make a delicious, boiled noodle lasagna, perhaps you have no business cooking it, and should leave your lasagna nights to the talents of Marie Calendar, or the fine people in Stouffer's kitchen. I have to say, after writing all that out, the idea makes its way across my cortex: "Do the writers/ editors at bon appetit think we don't read anymore?"

***

I need a snack. Don't you?


Puppy Chow

9 cups      Chex cereal (doesn't matter what kind)
1 cup        chocolate chips (mini ones work too)
1 tsp         vanilla
1/4 cup     butter
1/2 cup     peanut butter
1 1/2 cup  confectioner's sugar

Non-Food Items You'll Probably Need For This
1 Large Bowl
1 Gallon ziplock Bag
1 Large Spoon


1. Measure Chex cereal. Set aside in large bowl.

2. Into a microwave-safe bowl: chocolate chips, butter, peanut butter. Microwave on high 1 minute. Stir. Microwave again for 30 seconds. Mixture should blend together smoothly when removed from microwave.

3. Add vanilla.

4. Mix with Chex cereal. Stir until all cereal is coated.

5. Place confectioner's sugar in gallon-size ziplock bag.

6. Add coated cereal.

7. Shake, shimmy and just generally agitate bag until all the yummy pieces of cereal are finely coated in sugar.

8. Eat.




Yes, it takes less than 10 minutes to make. Yes, it's delicious, and named a million other things depending on region and intent. Now, I'm going to take my yummy snack and enjoy this beautiful fall day. Try not to get addicted; this particular snack made many appearances during my college days. Now my husband can't stop eating it. I'm just saying - sometimes the best possible thing is the simple, delightful, full-of-memory taste that speaks to soul as well as stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment